Sunday, June 24, 2012

My First Sunday Motions

Okay, so no excuse for the two months of not posting.  For right now, I'm going to blame it on the fact that I work for a landscaping firm and we are right smack dab in the middle of the growing season.  That and I've been struggling to balance everything on my plate:  marriage, two kids, a full time job, bill-paying... it has added up and I've wanted nothing to do but pull the covers over my head - literally!

However, I have to take responsibility for myself.  The other day I was reading this article titled "4 Ways to Pour Yourself in Your Pursuits".  One section really thrummed my heart-strings:

“And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man” (Luke 2:52).

Interestingly this sentence is just about all that is said about Jesus in the years leading up to his public ministry. 

Still, it says quite a lot. In preparing to live out his purpose, Jesus grew in four key areas:
  • Wisdom: mentally and emotionally
  • Stature: physically
  • Favor with God: spiritually
  • Favor with man: relationally
With this model in mind, invest accordingly.

So this is my challenge to myself - to pursue Godly living based on growing in all of the above areas:  mentally, emotionally, physically, spiritually, and relationallyMy journey towards health impacts all of these areas.  How?  Well, exercise improves my mental and emotional state tremendously (for those who struggle with stress and depression, it is a God-given relief!), physically, spiritually (if you don't think exercise touches your spiritual life, you need to reevaluate disciple.  And it helps me overcome the sins of laziness and gluttony), and relationally.  When I am not stressed-out and depressed, I can be a better wife, mother, and friend.


So anyway, I'm being more proactive in this journey.  Personal goals include getting down to 200 pounds while I'm still thirty (my next birthday is almost four months away), running another 5K by then as well, and as of today, I'm changing my eating plan.  I have tried just about anything and everything and the only way I ever lost weight and kept it off (until I got pregnant with Emily, that is, and abused the eating for two brutally) was by using the principles of the Atkins Revolution and The South Beach Diet.  It works for my body, and I'm tired of trying other things that I just know don't.  So bring on healthier eating!  Also, I'm going to try to do these posts and weigh-ins on Sundays, instead of Mondays, to start the week on right note.


Sunday Motions (Week #1):
Starting Weight: 240

No comments:

Post a Comment